Glitsa Swedish Finish Myths and Facts

SWEDISH FINISH MYTHS:

“Swedish Finish is Toxic and Kills.”
Any company that tells you this is doing so because they do not know the proper ways to handle this finish. The Swedish Finish is no more toxic than any other solvent-based finish, stain or paint. Painting a room can become toxic if you do not allow proper ventilation. Glitsa Swedish Finish is for professional use only because it needs to be handled and applied professionally. Glitsa Swedish Finish has been in business for 50 years. DC Hardwood Flooring has been using Glitsa Swedish for over 20 years and we have never harmed a person, plant, pet or structure. Water-base finishes also contain known harmful chemicals.

“Swedish Finish Has Been Banned in California.”
This is only remotely true. California’s ban is not specific to only Swedish Finish but any chemical that increases their VOC level because they are trying to lower the smog in CA.The following is an excerpt directly from the
CA Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board:” Our Consumer Products Regulatory Program is an important part of ARB’s overall effort to reduce the amount of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are emitted from the use of chemically formulated consumer products. “Consumer product” means a chemically formulated product used by household and institutional consumers, including, but not limited to, detergents; cleaning compounds; polishes; floor finishes; cosmetics; personal care products; home, lawn, and garden products; disinfectants; sanitizers; aerosol paints; and automotive specialty products…VOCs that are emitted into the air from consumer products and other sources (motor vehicles, stationary sources, etc.) react with other pollutants under sunlight to form ground-level ozone and particulate matter (PM 10), the main ingredients in smog. Reducing VOC emissions from consumer products therefore plays an integral part in ARB’s effort to reduce smog in California.”

“Swedish Finish is Unstable and Can Cause Fires or a House to Blow Up.”
Once again, we have been using Swedish Finish for over 20 years and have never started a fire or blown up a house with it. Any chemical is potentially dangerous if not handled correctly. Any cases which claim the use of Swedish Finish has caused a fire or explosion were due to the improper handling of the finish. The finish is not combustible or highly flammable, but caution should be exercised during its use, as with any chemical, even household paint.

IN SUMMARY:
Glitsa’s fine instrumentation has measured that 95-99% of the solvents in Glitsa Swedish Finish evaporate within 24 hours depending on climate and humidity. This finish is usually done off-gasing within 3 days, and after 7 days, no noticeable off-gasing is detectable. This finish must be handled properly while in its liquid form, but once dry is no longer harmful. You can also check out Glitsa America’s website: www.glitsa.com

Glitsa, a division of Rudd Company has launched a Fan Page for the Glitsa brand of wood floor finishes. The page can be found at http://www.facebook.com/GlitsaFinishes