Costs of CARPETING
over 50 years as a home owner: Per 1,000 square feet: – Installation and new carpeting = $3,500-$4,500 on average depending on quality of carpeting and hourly installation charge.
– Needs to be replaced every 7-10 years on average, if maintained correctly. Over the 50 year period an average person is a home owner = $17,500-$22,500.
– Steam Cleaning of carpeting every 2-3 years to maintain. $300-$500 every 2-3 years for 50 year home owner lifetime= $4,800 – $8,000
– Does not increase the value of your home because it is considered a temporary fixture.
– Dirt sifts through the carpet fibers and gets trapped underneath where a vacuum cleaner cannot get at it.
– Stains easily.
– Carpet fibers are a petroleum derivative and
off-gases for a minimum of 2-3 months.
– 2 million tons of carpeting end up in landfills every year, greatly adding to the congestion of landfills, plus, carpeting takes 10-20 years to decompose. Those with Stain Guard take longer.
End cost over the average person’s lifetime = $28,000 to $45,000
Cost of HARDWOOD FLOORING
over 50 years as a home owner: Per 1,000 square feet: – Installation, sanding and finishing = $5,000-$7,000 on average, depending on wood used, finish and location.
– Never needs to be replaced = $0.00
– Refinishing of Glitsa Swedish Finish every 10-12 years on average, if maintained correctly can go longer. $1,500 – $2,000 per 10 years = $7,500-$10,000 over average 50 year period as a home owner.
– Increases the value of your home because it is considered a permanent improvement.
– Reduces allergens, asthma and sinus problems that would be caused by dirt trapped in carpeting.
– Does not stain, spills are easy to clean up and cause no permanent damage.
– Finishes off-gas for only 1 week.
– Rarely ends up in a landfill and if it does, it is 100% biodegradable, therefore, hardwood flooring does not contribute to the congestion of landfills.